Herdin Record #:
The link between the missing menses and a missing long arm: a case of a variant turner syndrome.
|1Judith Anne Pasion
|2Hazel D. Madlang-awa
|Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology - Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital
Publication Sub Type:
Philippine Journal of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
Philippine Society of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Inc.
Primary amenorrhea in a 20 year old becomes alarming especially when the woman desires to conceive a child. This paper reports a case of a 20 year old nulligravid with a chief complaint of absence of menses since puberty. Timely diagnosis with thorough clinical history, physical examination and appropriate procedures like karyotyping led to the diagnosis of sexual chromosomal anomaly. The initial and repeat transvaginal ultrasound reported ovarian hyperthecosis and infantile uterus, respectively. Karyotyping test revealed 46X with terminal deletion of long arm of Chromosome X with break at band Xq21 while serum follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) revealed an elevated result. Primary amenorrhea along with development of secondary sexual characteristics and abnormal karyotyping test, the patient fulfills the criteria of a rare case of variant Turner syndrome. This case discusses the valuable collaboration between the Obstetrician-Gynecologist, Reproductive Endocrinology, Geneteicist and patient for proper evaluation, diagnosis and management.
|Location||Call Number||Available Format||Availability|
|Philippine Society of Reproductive Medicine
1. Wilson JD, , Griffin JE, , Braunwald E, , FAuci AS, , Kasper DL et al, . Disorders of sexual differentiation. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine 15th Edition New York: McGraw Hill: 2001. 2172-84.
2. Barbara RM, , Carolyn AB, , Karen RR, , Carolyn AB, , Karen RR, . "3 Perspectives on Turner's Syndrome" Endocrine Society 8, 12-9, 2007
3. Jones KI, , Smith DW, . Smith's Recognizable Patterns of Human Malformation 6th Edition. Elsevier Saunders Philadelphia: 2006. 76-81.
4. Ferreira SI et al, . "X-chromosome terminal deletion ina female with premature ovarian failure: Haploinsufficiency of X-linked genes as a possible explanation" Molecular Cytogenetics 3, 14, 2010
5. Foudilla T et al, . "Turner's syndrome and pregnancies after oocyte donation" Human Reproduction 14(2): 532-5, 1999
6. Blondell R et al, . "Disorders of Puberty" American Family Physician 60(1): 209-18, 1999
7. Sutton EJ, , McInerney-Leo A, , Bondy CA, , Gollust SE, , King D, , Biesecker B, . "Turner syndrome: four challenges across the lifespan" American Journal Medical Genetics A 139, 57-66, 2005
8. Golden NH et al, . "The pathophysiology of amenorrhea in the adolescent" Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1135, 163-78, 2008
9. Master-Hunter T, , Heiman DL, . "Amenorrhea: evaluation and treatment" American Family Physician 73(8): 1374-8, 2006
10. David-Padilla C et a, . "A review of the results of chromosomal analysis come at the National Institutes of Health from 1991 to 2007" Acta Medical Philippina 43(1): 4, 2009
11. Ohbera Ao et al, . "Turner's syndrome: diagnosis and management with limited resources" Pacific Journal of Medical Sciences 24(4): 604-8, 2008
12. Schinzel A, . Catalogue of unbalance chromosome aberrations in man. Catalogue of unbalance chromosome aberrations in man New York:de Gruyter: 1984.
13. Reindollar RH, . "Turner syndrome: contemporary thoughts and reproductive issue" Seminars in Reproductive Medicine 29(4): 342-52, 2011
14. Sybert VP, , McCauley E, . "Turner's syndrome" New England Journal of Medicine 351, 1227-38, 2004
15. Chiavaroli, Valentina et al . Primary and secondary amenorrhea, update on mechanisms of hormone action - focus on metabolism, growth and reproduction InTech, 2011.
16. Rossenfield RG, , Tesch L-G, , Rodriguez-Rigau LJ e, . "Recommendations for diagnosis,treatment, and management of individuals with turner syndrome" Endocrinologist 4, 351-8, 1994