Herdin Record #:
A rare case of two transverse vaginal septae in an adolescent patient.
|1Rhea Monina Z. Polintag
|2Rena Cristina K. Malaya
|Department of Obstetrics an Gynecology - Batangas Medical Center
Publication Sub Type:
Philippine Journal of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
Philippine Society of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Inc.
A transverse vaginal septum can develop at any level in the vagina, presumably caused by failure of absorption of the tissue that separates the junction between the vaginal plate and the caudal end of the fused mullerian ducts, or by complete failure of fusion of these two embryologic components of the vagina. Reported incidences vary up to 1 in 72,000, with occurrence of 46% in the upper vagina, 35-40% in the midvagina, and 14-19% in the lower vagina. But what are the odds of having two vaginal septae? This report discusses a rare case of an adolescent presenting with the classic signs and symptoms of having a transverse vaginal septum, but on surgical correction was found to have not only one, but two vaginal septae.
|Location||Call Number||Available Format||Availability|
|Philippine Society of Reproductive Medicine
1. Jouda MA, , Obaideen AM, , Zayed M, , Hamdy M, . "Transvaginal excision of transverse vaginal septum in children" Journal of Clinical Case Reports 3, 302. DOI: , 2013
2. Sadler TW, . Langman's Medical Embryology &th Edition. Williams and Wilkins Maryland: 1995.
3. Jones HW, , rock JA, . Te Linde's Operative Gynecology 10th Edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Philadelphia: 2010. 25. (10th Editi)
4. Falcone T, , Hurd WW, . Clinical Reproductive Medicine and Surgery. A Practical Guide New York: Springer Science + Business Media: 2013.
5. Singh S, et al., . "A rare case of low transverse vaginal septum" International Journal of Reproduction, Contraception, Obstetrics and Gynecology 4(6): 2103-6, 2015
6. Award E et al, . "Imperforate hymen as an unusual cause of non-urologic retention - a case report" Afrian Journal of Urology 21, 72-5, 2014
7. Connell MT, , Owen CM, , Segars JH, . "Genetic syndromes and genes involved in the development of the female reproductive tract: a possible role for gene therapy" Journal of Genetics Syndromes and Gene Therapy 4, 1-24, 2013
8. Sasikala R et. al, . "Perforated transverse vaginal septum: a rare case report" International Journal of Reproduction, Contraception, Obstetrics and Gynecology 4(4): 1217-9, 2015
10. Gomez IS, , Silao MJ, . "Surgical treatment of complicated transverse vaginal septum using combined simultaneous ultrasound guided perineal-abdominal approach" Philippine Journal of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility 9(2): 82-9, 2012